Motorcycle Wet Weather Gear Dos & Don´ts
Riding your favorite motorcycle is always a great way to have an amazing time. Moreover, some of us ride our bikes every day commuting to work. But what happens when the sun hides and the weather decides to make it more difficult for us? Well, those times require us to gear up to meet weather demands.
Read on to learn everything you always wanted to know about motorcycle wet weather gear. Riding your bike should always be a pleasure in any weather.
Why do you need good wet weather gear?
Opposite to cars, motorcycles don’t usually have a roof to protect us from rain. On the other hand, they occupy less space, are more traffic-friendly, and surely look better. So, what is the solution to stay dry during a wet day on which we need (or want) to ride our bikes? The answer is rather simple: wet weather gear.
Now, what happens if we buy the wrong kind, type, or even brand? The result might be a leak, a defeated zipper, torn fabric, or many others. Moreover, those can turn into a disaster like spending an entire day wet in the office or arriving late to a business meeting, work, or a drink at the bar.
On the other hand, getting the right wet weather gear might be the key to riding safely and arriving dry and on time to all our appointments.
Some case scenarios
Let’s see some case scenarios in which wet weather gear is a must.
- Commuting – Commuting, when it is raining, with no wet weather, motorcycle gear is a recipe for disaster.
- Adventure riding – Weather can change at any given time, and not having your wet weather gear with you when you leave home for an adventure can ruin your plans. Don´t get caught off-guard, and take it always with you.
- Nighttime riding – When you go riding at night, you have to pay extra attention because visibility is reduced. Add some rain to the combo, and you´ll be riding wet too. Always take your wet weather gear when night riding.
What kind of wet weather gear do you need?
Ok, now that we have been through why you need waterproof motorcycle gear, it is time to address what kind you need.
Let’s talk about waterproof pants
Have you ever had or seen waterproof motorcycle pants? Several kinds of them that can fulfill different functions. Out of all the options available, though, the best kind is motorcycle textile pants. These offer three distinct qualities that set them apart from the rest:
- Waterproof – They are completely waterproof because the fabric is so tight it won´t let any water in.
- Comfortable – Since we are talking about a textile kind of pants, they will take the shape of your body opposing no resistance. Once you “break them in” (wear it several times), they will feel effortless to wear.
- Warm – Although they can be bought in different thicknesses to accommodate weather in different parts of the planet, the fabric is so tight it won´t let the cold air in either.
Usually, they come in a variety of styles, colors, and shapes. Choose the one that suits you the best and enjoy riding in any weather while being warm and dry.
Let’s talk about waterproof jackets
Although we love how cool leather jackets look under the sun when riding a Harley on the open road, they aren´t the most suitable option. Indeed, motorcycle waterproof jackets have come a long way since the years of Rebel Without a Cause, and motorcycle textile jackets are the best option available today.
Moreover, you can get a matching textile motorcycle pant and jacket and create the ultimate wet weather look. Make sure the backpack where you carry your office clothes is waterproof too!
When do you need to wear wet weather gear?
You can wear motorcycle apparel as much as you like on and off the bike. But when is it the best time to wear wet weather gear? Well, our recommendation is to always keep it handy. If your bike has the space to store it somewhere, bring it with you every time you ride. When it comes to motorcycles and weather, it is better to be prepared than sorry.
Motorcycle technology has come a long way since the fifties, and so has motorcycle clothing. Nowadays, you have plenty of options to choose from and wear the best, most comfy outfit to stay warm, safe, and dry at all times. Choose wisely and enjoy your bike regardless of the weather.