How motorcycle jeans are different than casual denim jeans?
Are you planning for a bike ride with folks and thinking of the essentials you need to carry? Well, bike rides are great fun but can be risky, and your safety is the most important of all. Your riding gear is the only thing that can shield you from grave mishaps. And if you think your comfy pair of Levi’s shall be alright for riding, well, we have got some news for you. Let’s see why your casual denim will so not be appropriate for your bike ride.
Why exactly should we wear the motorcycle jeans?
Mostly, due to its higher cost, riders tend to avoid purchasing motorcycle pants/jeans. Also, there is a common perception in some riders that they don’t really help as much from impact injury as is said about it. Or people assume that they may be too hot to wear and ride.
When denim material meets asphalt, it can shred into pieces in a span of a few seconds. Plus, it gives no impact protection to your hips or knees whereas riding jeans protect you in several ways as opposed to your regular denim ones. The protective riding jeans come with different features in different styles that keep you cool and ventilated.
Motorcycle jeans Vs. Denim jeans
Modern motorcycle jeans provide the rider with some street style, comfy or party look, be it on the bike or off it, apart from its obvious purpose. These jeans have armor padding and possess greater levels of resisting abrasions, as opposed to regular denim. The motorcycle jeans are made for durability and protection against impacts and abrasions.
Motorcycle jeans are usually reinforced with Kevlar fabrics and have optional armor inserts for hips and knees. Some of them also include adjustable knee armor inserts to give extra comfort to the rider.
Having discussed the broader aspects of the advantages of motorbike jeans and their significance, let’s now go into specific terms that one ought to know before going for a long motorcycle ride.
What is Kevlar?
Kevlar is a brand name that deals purely with aramid fibers. Kevlar’s secret of success is the mass production of very durable material. They can produce wearable and soft material with five times the power of steel based on the weight-to-weight comparison.
This tumble and rough material has become a favourite among the product manufacturers that require strength, resistance and durability like bullet-proof armor, motorcycle gear and fishing line. Kevlar truly holds the ability to protect the wearer from punctures, heat and abrasion. Its synthetic and lightweight fiber delivers an elevated tensile strength to the products. It brings improved performance and protection across wide-ranging applications and industries.
Things to look for before buying Kevlar Jeans
There are two principal types of Kevlar jeans—Kevlar lined or single-layered.
- Single-layer Jeans already have the aramid fiber interknit into the denim material itself. This makes it easier for the user to wear it.
- Whereas the aramid fiber lining or Kevlar-lined jeans means that the jeans are lined with this fiber. This gives extra protection against the cold and harsh weather. There are some brands that give this lining only in the impact risk zones such as hips, knees and seat of the protective motorcycle jeans, whereas some brands offer articles with protective lining throughout the jeans or even shirt.
- Construction and styles: Commonly, biker denim jeans will have double to triple stitching to give sturdier durability. Denim types may vary amongst brands. You need to look for heavy-duty stretchable denim for enhanced comfort and abrasion-resistant textiles. From skinny fit to straight leg, slim fit to tuck in boots or café racer styled for hipsters, you can find everything.
Motorcycle chino pants
Motorcycle chino pants are breathable and lightweight while being an excellent alternative for regular business chinos or denim jeans. There are options available in the market where these chino pants are also reinforced with Kevlar, which enhances the safety bar. These come in great fashionable and styling looks that cater to the urban demands of motorcycle riding.
After having known about the basics of Kevlar motorcycle pants and jeans, let us touch upon the necessary steps to maintain your pair of Kevlar jeans that you got for yourself.
Maintenance and care
- Most of the protective bike-riding jeans can be given a machine wash, just like we do for our casual denim jeans.
- Avoid bleach
- Do not expose the internal aramid fibers by putting the pant inside out in direct sunlight for drying purposes. This will cause an adverse effect.
- Remove the armor from your jeans before washing them.
- Choose to ride jeans that are plain, without many adornments, as they can get stuck in a machine wash and damage other clothes with it, or worse, get caught in the bike and cause an accident.
Now, after having known the basics of motorcycle jeans, make an informed decision and select the one that caters to your individual needs.